A Scottish company was fined £1.75m on 31 May 2016 after a worker was seriously scalded in Alloa.
Dunfermline Sheriff Court heard how a plant controller was injured when he opened a faulty valve which emitted high pressure, high temperature steam. He sustained serious burns to his chest and legs.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident which happened on 12 October 2013 found that the company were aware of the defect but did not ensure appropriate steps were taken to either repair or remove the valve from use.
Health & Safety Law Advice
Fergusson Law bring a significant amount of expertise and experience to any such situation. Never ignore any notification from the Health and Safety Executive that they intend to commence an investigation or criminal prosecution. Call Janice Nisbet of Fergusson Law for advice. Before becoming a lawyer, Janice worked for many years as an Inspector with the Health and Safety Executive, covering a range of industries but with particular experience of the food and drink industries, petro-chemical plants, other major hazard industries, and the offshore oil industry.